Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Stained Glass

I had some fun tonight.  I had worked on a card for a certain challenge last night but it was getting late so I decided I should get to bed and I could post it when I came home from work.  Guess there was some confusion because the link closed two hours early.  Well, you know what they say about life giving you lemons – make lemonade.  At first I was disappointed but then went back in my craft room and started to play with my card some more.  I played, and played, and … well you get the idea.  Ok, maybe I played too much but this card certainly has lots of layers and plenty of color.


This card started with a white base and I made it into an easel card.  I layered dark purple on the white card front, then added a layer of decorative floral cardstock.

The next section started with the image Butterfly Corner from Our Daily Bread Designs.  I stamped it in black on two diagonal corners on white glossy cardstock.  The butterflies actually cross over in the middle but I knew this would be covered so I didn’t worry about masking.  I colored the flowers with pink and purple Tombow markers, the leaves with green, and the butterflies with yellow.  I created my own mosaic stamp by cutting small pieces of left over rubber with cling backing and placing them all over a large clear block, leaving a small space between each one.  I stamped this over my painted image using Versamark clear ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder.  Then I took a dark purple stamp pad (dye base) and rubbed it all over the image.  When you wipe off the excess with a soft tissue, it leaves the dark ink in the “cracks” and wipes off where you embossed.  It gives it the look of a mosaic or stained glass.  I layered this on bright pink and then aqua cardstock.  I punched a dark purple layer with a Martha Stewart corner and border punch and then cut off the four corners and layered them under each corner of my layered image.  All of this was place on the main card front.  I had some really cute pink ribbon with little white butterflies so I ran a strip across the front and added a bow.  I stamped the word “Faith” in purple on a white oval.  This stamp is from the Faith Set, also from Our Daily Bread Designs.  I layered it on a pink oval and then an aqua beaded scallop, all from Spellbinder Dies.  I popped this up on top of the ribbon and some white decorative dies.

For the inside of the card I stamped a verse, also from Our Daily Bread’s Faith set.  This is placed in the center on top of a variety of colored cardstocks cut with various dies or punched with Martha Stewart punches.  I added pink and yellow pearls to both the front and inside of the card. 


 My final touch was a butterfly button on the bow.  It started out gold but I used some aqua Stazon ink and sponged this all over it.  Then I used dark blue Stazon to just touch the edges of the wings and body.



This card is entered in the following challenges:
Aifactory Challenge AIF#072 – Things with Wings
The Cuttlebug Spot – Button/Embossing
Flutter By Wednesday’s Challenge #147 – Anything Goes w/ Butterfly
Totally Papercrafts Challenge #58 – Add Buttons
Paper Cutz Challenge #83 - Your Choice
Wild Orchid Challenges #19 - Dieing to "Punch" it Out
Whoopsie Daisy Challenge - Easter Time (Springtime Colors)
Stamptacular Sunday Challenge #103 - Are You Talking To Me? (focus on sentiment)
Stamp and Create Challenge #9 - Spring Break
Simon Says Stamp and Show - A Word
The Shabby Tea Room Challenge Week #53 - Bingo (Buttons, Flowers, and Glitter/Glimmer) (Punch/Die Cuts, Embossing, and Ribbon)
Sentimental Sundays Challenge #46 - Let's get Sentimental (focus on sentiment)
Paper Pretties Challenge #146 - Spring
Stamping Vacation:  You Name the Challenge Challenge (More than three layers)

20 comments:

Donna said...

Incredibly pretty card! Thanks for joining in the fun at TCC this week :) Donna x

Made by Mandy said...

Oooh, lots of pretty butterflies. The button is very pretty and I love the ribbon.

Many thanks for joining in with our Things With Wings challenge at AI Factory.

Mandy (DT member for AI Factory Challenge)

JanR said...

Such nice bright colours! That ribbon is fabby. Thanks for playing with us at AiFactory!

JanR - AiF dt

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is beautiful!! I just love your colors, the papers and the design!! So cheery and spring. Beautiful design!! Thanks for joining the ODBD Shining the Light challenge and Stamping in Time challenge!!! I look forward to seeing your gorgeous creations each week!! Have a great day!
hugs,
Chris

Renee said...

What a great card. Very pretty. Thanx for joining us this week at Incy Wincy. Hope to see you back next week.
Renee DT

Danni said...

Very pretty! Thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Oh my gosh, what fun colors...so much like Spring!! Thanks for taking the time to play along in this weeks Shining the Light Challenge over at ODBD!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Anna said...

Beautiful! Love the bright colors! Thanks for sharing with us at Flutter By Wednesday.

Sherrie K. said...

Wow, pretty and bright!!! Beautiful job... Good luck in the challenge!
Sherrie k.
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Mina said...

wow Marie what an amazing collection of colours...gorgeous...thanks for joining in with our Crafts & Me challenge this week
Mina xxx

Charlene said...

WOW Marie, just beautiful!! I love the colors and the design :-)Thanks so much for sharing your lovely creation at The shabby Tea Room!

sasa said...

Just wonderful. Beautiful array of colour and detail. Love the your design and all the attention to detail. Great piece - full of love and still lots of challenges there to join in with. Thanks for playing with Simon says Stamp & Shoe...!

Sarah

Kristin said...

This is so pretty. Love all of the papers and colors you used. Thanks for joining us this week at The Shabby Tea Room.

Hugs,
Kristin

Mona E said...

Wow...you are so creative. It is allways so much fun to come and visit you to see what you have been up to. Love that embossing technique you have used. It looks fabulous! Thanks for joining us at both WhoopsiDaisy and Crafts and Me. Hugs...Mona

Danielle Therese Greenwood said...

So pretty! Love all the layers and elements. Thanks for joining us in The Shabby Tea Room this week.

Jenni said...

Fab, love all the detail and the bright colours. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Creative Inspirations.
Jenni x

papertrails leaver said...

Well you certainly did make a stunner! I like the layers full of color! Beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Sentimental Sundays! :-) Amy

Donna said...

Marie, what a fantastically detailed and colored card! I'm glad you kept playing. Sometimes more is definitely more better! "big smile"

Chris said...

lovely and springy easel card. thanks for playing with us at Paper Pretties.

Vixykins said...

So beautiful, really eyecatching! Thank You for playing at Crafts and Me x