Thursday, March 17, 2011

Leather

What a day!!  The children were quite energetic today with all the St. Patrick’s Day activities.  On top of that, I am having a very hard time adjusting to the time change.  I keep falling asleep when I get home from school and then I can’t get to sleep until really late so the next day I am exhausted and fall asleep when I get home.  Good grief.  Well that is what happened again today so I did not make one of my challenge deadlines today.  Oh well, I thought I would still share the card. 


The theme at Our Daily Bread Designs Blog for their challenge was Leather or Pearls.  I decided I wanted to try to do something with the leather.  I remembered a technique I had heard of a long time ago where you cover a piece of cardstock with small pieces of masking tape and paint over it with dark acrylic paint.  You let it sit for a while and then your wipe off the excess.  It settles in all of the lines and edges to create the look of leather.  I decided to try this with my ink pads.  It came out pretty good but then I decided to add some embossing and that did not show up very well.  I think part of the problem was that I needed a more permanent ink in the color I wanted to use.  The ink I was using had a tendency to rub off of the tape too much.

I used the “leather” for a layer on top of my dark brown card base and added photo corners.  I actually embossed the leather with a Cuttlebug folder but I do not think you can see it very well in the picture. I cut a small  “leather” frame using a Spellbinder die, added some darker ink and layered it onto a cream rectangle that I rounded the corner and sponged the edges with brown ink.  I used square brads in each corner and a Martha Stewart border punch to create a small dark brown border edge on the right side of the frame and also horizontally across the card behind the frame and rectangle layer.  The sentiment is from Our Daily Bread and was stamped in dark brown on cream.  Again I rounded the corners and sponged the edges with brown ink.  The cute fish hook is a actually a sticker that I placed inside the “leather” frame.

This card was entered in the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamps Challenge – Happy Birthday
CES Challenge #27 – Men Only
Charisma Cardz Challenge #11 – To Die For (use die cuts)
Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight Challenge – Make your own designer papers
The Cut Above the Rest Challenge – Use a cut edge (die cute, border punch, corner punch)










Ooh La La Creations Challenge #75 – It’s a Man Thing
The Shabby Tea Room Challenge #52 – Birthday or Celebration Theme
Wild Orchid Challenge #19 - Dying to Punch It out

8 comments:

Melissa Bove (SCS ~ Melissa1872) said...

Gorgeous card!! The masking tape technique is so interesting and fun! Thank you so much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog and The Shabby Tea Room!!

Hugs...
Melissa
Simon Says DT and TSTR DT

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Marie, this is stunning and such a perfect take on this weeks Shining the Light Challenge, I am sorry you've missed the deadline :C. Thanks for sharing it though and giving me one more reason to give this technique a try!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Julie said...

Lovely card - great earthy tones!! Thanks for joining us at CES challenges, this week. Juliexx

Debbie said...

WOW, what a neat technique! Thanks for joining us in the Tea Room for our birthday bash :)

Chris said...

very interesting technique that happens to look good. thanks for sharing it. the leather makes a great man's card.
thanks for playing in the Paper Pretties challenge.

Donna said...

Wonderful masculine card! I'd like to try it with a western style stamp, Marie. Really, you just put down pieces of masking tape and smooshed with inks? Amazing! You always seem to be coming up with new ideas, or at the very least, new takes on old ideas. Thanks for a great tip!

Leah the Orange said...

love the leathery effect - what a fabulous job for your first attempt at the technique! thanks so much for playing along at Charisma - the recipient of this card is going to LOVE it!

Heather Jensen said...

So pretty! Thanks for playing along with us at BBB. :)